News Flash


Posted on: March 25, 2019

City seeks volunteers for boards and commissions - DEADLINE IS MAY 6

Are you interested in becoming active in municipal government?  

Throughout the year the City of Boerne accepts applications from interested residents who would like to serve on the various boards, commissions or special committees that are appointed by the Boerne mayor.  The primary groups are the Planning and Zoning Commission, the Historic Landmark Commission and the Zoning Board of Adjustments. There are also several other boards and committees that have openings throughout the year.

The Planning and Zoning Commission is a nine member group which reviews issues and makes recommendations to the City Council regarding subdivision and development plats.  This group interprets the zoning and subdivision regulations and advises City Council on any modifications that may be needed to better manage property development.  The Planning and Zoning Commission also uses the Comprehensive Master Plan document as a guide in their deliberations.  Applicants must reside within the Boerne city limits or in the ETJ (extra territorial jurisdiction - one mile beyond the city limits).

 The Historic Landmark Commission consists of nine members and specifically deals with issues in the historic district.  Guided by zoning regulations, they review and approve the design of new structures and modifications to existing historic buildings. They also make recommendations to City Council regarding signage at commercial businesses in the historic district.  Applicants must reside in the city limits.

The Zoning Board of Adjustments and Appeals is a quasi-judicial board that hears requests for variances to the City’s Zoning Ordinance and rules on appeals to the interpretations of City building codes. Applicants must reside within the Boerne city limits.

In order to be considered for current vacancies, interested persons must submit an application to the city secretary, Ms. Lori Carroll.  Only those people who turn in a completed application will be considered.  The mayor appoints, and City Council approves, new members to fill vacancies on City boards, commissions, and committees.

A booklet outlining the duties and responsibilities of each board, commission and committee as well as the application can be downloaded from the City web page, on the Boards and Commission page, or they can be picked up at the city secretary’s office on the second floor of City Hall, 402 E. Blanco Road.  All applications will remain on file for one year.           

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Email